In the summer of 1921 Thornton Golf Club was formally founded by a group of local railwaymen. A committee was formed and the layout of the course was designed and agreed upon and on Saturday 6 August 1921 a mixed fourball competition was played to mark the opening of the club.
A railway hut was purchased and erected on the site to be used as a clubhouse at a total cost of less than £100.
In 1925 land became available at the bottom of Station Road and it was then decided that the club would move to the new location. In May 1925 the opening ceremony was performed when a local hotelier struck the first ball. A new clubhouse was erected by a local joiner.
In those early days the greenkeeping duties were shared amongst the members, each tee and green being individually cared for. A horse-drawn mower was purchased at a cost of £25 and a member (and his horse) was employed to cut the fairways. In 1931 a motor mower was purchased, taking over from the horse.
In October 1935 the club arranged to purchase the course outright.
In July 1937 it was agreed that a new clubhouse was required and after negotiations the Railway Company agreed to pay 50% of the cost. On 27 May 1939 the new clubhouse was officially opened by two long-serving lady members.
In 1970 a full time greenkeeper was employed and then 50 years after moving to this site the course was extended to eighteen holes. In 1996 the old clubhouse was demolished to make way for the prestigious new clubhouse we have today.
established in 1921, is a scenic and wooded, parkland course renowned for the condition of its greens. The course, bounded by the River Ore, is easy walking and will provide a stirring round to players of all abilities.
The course provides a challenge for the serious golfer and a real test for those who tend to hook and equally offers a pleasant golfing experience for all. The course has a testing finishing five holes which hold your attention to the very end. Here, the River Ore comes into play with the par three, 14th 'Burn' hole a particular feature.
Situated in the heart of Fife - ' the home of golf ' - the course is an easy 30 minutes drive from both the Forth and the Tay Road Bridges on the main A92 road between Kirkcaldy in the South and Glenrothes in the North.
In June 2013 Thornton introduced a Professionals Shop where there is a comprehensive stock of golfers' requisites available and golfing tuition is also available.